Friday, 7 February 2014

MD An Odyssey (1)



MD(Medicine)—AN ODYSSEY
1956
During my undergraduate days PATHOLOGY attracted me most. (Much later I could empathize with the pathologist in Arthur Hailey’s “Final Diagnosis”) . MEDICINE won me over when I scored the highest marks in the university in final MBBS exam.(Have I told you this ,Suba?)(This was the first of a few ‘firsts’—first in medicine in junior medical officers course in AFMC & later first in MD(medicine) Panjab university & ofcourse first in DM(gastroenterology) by virtue of being the ‘lone’ candidate!) But during the house surgency period we concentrated on learning the ‘practice’ of medicine. Since I had failed in Anatomy (there is a story here but not now) chances were not bright in gaining admission to PG in major subjects as those who got MBBS without failing in any subject during the 5 yr course would be preferred. That I was born to Brahmin parents was a ‘minus’ point! Appa desired that I join him in SVPR since Anna had already joined Indian Navy. (Destiny had different idea). More out of desire to visit Delhi than with intention of joining AMC two of us responded to a call for interview for DPRC (direct permanent regular commission in Army Medical Corps. L Block in AHQ where interview was conducted was a dilapidated very old building. But interview was fun simply because I had no intensions then of joining AMC even if offered. I finished house surgeoncy . After returning from Delhi I continued with house suegeoncy n Stanley and even extended it by three months to work in labor ward (How I hated it!!) to be better equipped to life of a ‘general practitioner’. Anna had bought FORD POPULR ,brand new car costing Rs.SIX THOUSAND only!! He did not have driving license. I had. So I drove anna, manni, & suppamani from SVPR to Malabar hills, Bombay.
1957
During my holiday there I joined DVD (dermatology & venereology) in Grant Medical college under Dr.Maniar prompted by a desire to delay returning to life of private practionner. Life waswas far less complicated those days—Dr.Maniar asked me to write an application in plain paper (no forms  etc). He forwarded the same with his recommendation / approval  to Bombay University  and I was admitted to DVD (dermatology & venereology) in Grant Medical College under Dr.Maniar.I used to drop anna in Nair Hospital where he was in charge of NCC and drive the Ford Popular to Grant Medical. Evenings I loved the drive through ‘Marine Drive ‘from Malabar hills to Colaba causeway to play tennis. Life was good BUT to be content with DVD while my ambition was MD(medicine) and to have to return to SVPR as GP were bugging me deep within.
1958
 After close to two years  from my interview in Delhi I received letter from AHQ that I had been selected to join DPRC in AMC. Till then I had forgotten all about Delhi interview! Anna said YES. Appa, as always, okayed  what his children wanted. MAHASANNIDANAM  (Sringeri) after his stay in our house in SVPR was camping at Sattur. Appa took me to him “kannanukku pattalathil sera order vandhirukku. Ennudamum irukkalam. Ungaladhu aasirvadam venum” prayed appa to the pontiff. “paiyan viruppappadi aahattum. Ennudaya aasirvadaam “I joined AMC with blessings of His Holiness. No regrets at all.
03Feb 1958
I repoted to AMC center Lucknow. 02Feb 1958 Papa married Kasi. I could not attend.(Later I was to miss her daughter Jayanthi’s wedding because I was in Tokyo learning ERCP & colonoscopy).Baptism into AMC consisted of 3 months in AMC centre in Lucknow & 3 months in AFMC Pune ending with an exam in AFMC in all subjects. I stood first in Medicine. Maj Gen Karani commandant AFMC offered me selection to train in Hygiene (dignified by the term ‘Preventive Medicine!) straight away with a carrot that he would get me posted to AFMC instead of being posted to ‘field area’ (J&K, Nagaland etc). Anna insisted that I should accept the ‘golden offer’ thereby assuring the backing of the General as well as avoiding suffering hardship in J&K. I declined. Medicine & nothing else was my choice. Completed three years in J&K , married  Jaya in this period, posted to MH Aurangabad ,where J & I set up our FIRST home. Here I met Prof. R D LELE, HOD medicine in Aurangabad medical college. Tennis court in the club was where I met him. He permitted me to attend his ‘bedside’, lectures whenever I found time. I bicycled (first transport I owned!) daily , sometimes in the afternoon as well. He was a good teacher . (He retired from KEM Bombay and wrote for the first time a text book of medicine in ‘marathi’ & was responsible for propagating “nuclear medicine”—(Google to know more about him).  AHQ order indicating that I had been selected to “advanced medicine course” ( PG Course in MD in civilian  lingo) was received. ( Basis of this selection, I was to learn later, was my performance in JMO (junior medical officers) course  and ACR -annual confidential reports- . Everything was JUST thos e days! I had no papa in services.
1960
Reported to AFMC. Strange coincidence—anna was in the last leg of his training in surgery there & I in the first leg .( When I joined Stanley Medical College anna was in final year !!) After 3 months assessment is made and three who topped were retained in Pune & rest sent to Delhi or Lucknow. RK Suri, Gandhi & I were retained in Pune. Surgeon commander Kuppuswamy (retired as Vice Admiral) was in the faculty. A lot can be written on my tenure in Pune as PG student but I must record learning from my teacher Maj.O.P.Malhotra,clinician par excellance. I will site one instance. I was called to the house of an AMC brigadier to examine his teen age daughter who was in “coma”. ? drug ? suicide. On my request Maj Malhotra came. Diagnosis “hysteria!!”I learnt then that Hysteria was a positive diagnosis & not one by excluding all other possibilities (reductio ad absurdum) .
1962
Indo China war broke out. I had just FOUR months to complete term days for MD in Pune University. All leaves ,All courses were cancelled forthwith. That included our MD course in Pune University. I was posted to MH Ferozepore as ‘graded specialist in mrdicine’- a term which indicated that I have not yet acquired MD from a university but was deemed good enough to be a physician.
Indo Pak war over. Peace & Jaya + chellachu returned to Ferozepore.  I approached Pune University asking how I may complete MD. The reply was a shock. ‘Your MD course is terminated because you “left” without completing two years”.I didn’t leave on my own,I was ORDERED  AFMC pleaded helplessness. No papa in AHQ either. Well Ferozepore was a quaint little town but with a sizable troop deployment. Good club with lawn tennis courts ( first time I played on lawn courts!). Good work load in hospital, Life was indeed comfortable BUT how on earth am I to get MD behind my name?!. Fortune smiled.  Maj.Virk was admitted with ‘pericardial effusion’ & life threatening ‘cardiac tampanod”. If paracentesis of effusion (withdrawal of fluid accumulating in the sac covering the heart) was not done IMMEDIATELY death was imminent. Issue then was not how many I had done earlier but the patient was a VVIP –son of Deputy commissioner of Ferozepore District--  Well,  I did it with ONLY Maj Chahal (surgeon) supporting me. I took out a few litres and Maj.Virk lived. The elder Virk brought Prof PN Chuttani, Director PGI Chandigarh to MH Ferozepore to advise. I ‘presented’ the case & later took him on a ‘ward round’ highlighting problems in selected cases. Prof.P N Chuttani was short but had a ‘bachan ‘like voice ,spoke with authority and in impeccable English lazed with typically Punjabi humor! I was impressed. “Where did you pass MD?” opened the flood gates & I poured out in agonizing details on the way my course was aborted by pune university (not failing to mention in passing how ungrateful & insensitive Pune varsity was to the plight of serving soldiers!) And shot out “how may I join PGI?”. “come along” said the prof “WE (don’t miss the royal we!) will take you in”. “I can talk to Inder” said he. My CO promptly intervened assuring that AMC will help Krishnan to join PGI and at that stage it might not be appropriate to talk to Gen Indersingh. (Gen Indersingh was the senior most physician in AMC and virtually decided the fate of every physician in service! And my CO knew a word from even the director PGI may indeed be inimical to my interest.) MD bug lying dormant till then came alive. There was no way that I could pursue MD in PGI while continuing to be in active service. I could not be posted back to Pune because no of seats allotted to AFMC was limited. Madras university did the best –they never replied! Well then how did I land in PGI? Wait for the next instalment!

No comments:

Post a Comment